Thursday, January 24, 2008

trust.

Sometimes I feel like the story of Jesus feeding the 5000 is my life. Right, you may not see the parallels at first, but I do. However, as most of my family will tell you, I have a tendency to be dramatic...

On Wednesday night we had another one of our free walk-in legal advice clinics. It's a pretty great program, in my opinion, because it brings together 3 groups, law students, people in need of legal advice, and attorneys. The law students learn valuable interviewing skills & get to put their book knowledge to use from both the clients & the attorneys. The public recieves free legal advice from qualified individuals. The attorneys recieve a warm fuzzy feeling inside from giving back to the community. I coordinate these clinics & while the event is taking place, I observe.

When I showed up at 5:00 people had already begun to show up & sign in...the clinic doesn't even begin until 6:00.  As I was running around trying to make sure that everyone had what they needed, I kept checking the list.  The number was rising, 15...20...28, and so was my panic level.  No attorneys had shown up yet, not even the ones from my office.  Finally, at 6:00, we had 48 clients waiting to be seen & 8 attorneys had magically shown up.  However, as I stood in front of the clients to welcome them to the clinic, I couldn't help but think, "Can we really see all of them in 2 hours, and who will be angry because they had to wait so long?"

Well, we saw everyone in under 2 hours, each person waiting patiently for their turn.  I am always amazed, but my boss never seems to be.  I'm not quite sure what this says about me because I have always considered myself an optimist.  I guess sometimes you just have to trust...

paz,
jenna

"Y mandó a la gente que se sentara sobre la hierba. Tomó los cinco panes y los dos pescados y, mirando al cielo, los bendijo. Luego partió los panes y se los dio a los discípulos, quienes los repartieron a la gente. Todos comieron hasta quedar satisfechos, y los discípulos recogieron doce canastas llenas de pedazos que sobraron. Los que comieron fueron unos cinco mil hombres, sin contar a las mujeres y a los niños."  Mateo 14:19-21