Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Oh the places you'll go...

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go."
-Dr. Seuss

I was reminded of a book that my mom often read to the Carl kids when we were little while I was at Ghost Ranch last week. She used to read Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess a lot & went through a phase where it was her favorite gift to give for graduations, job promotions, etc. I can remember getting a little tired of it, but now I see the important message she was trying to teach us.

It was refreshing to spend the better part of a week at Ghost Ranch in northern New Mexico, and not just because we got to escape the Texas heat. All of the YAVs from around the country got together so we could prepare for our year of service. I think the most refreshing thing was creating another community of young adults who are all focused on the same thing no matter where they stand politically or spiritually. It was great to have conversations about the work we were doing, the things we were experiencing, the places we had been & the places we were going.

One of the discussions that really hit me was about vocations & how this is not just a year off between college & grad school or jobs, but truly is our life. The things that I am learning & experiencing this year have already begun to change me & the life I live. This is part of the journey to the places I am going, to the places that we are all going.

While out on a hike on our last afternoon at Ghost Ranch, we stopped for a time of reflection & while I was looking around, I noticed stickers with parts of Oh, The Places You'll Go on the water bottle of the girl sitting next to me & it made me remember the book that had been read to me so many times before. For me it was encouraging because of the questions that have been on my mind lately about what I am doing & where I am going & how this year fits into my life & is my life. It's all a part of a journey, one that doesn't end. A journey that includes ups, downs, waiting, doing, the brains in my head & the gifts God gave me.

Last Saturday, the book was still fresh on my mind as I took the LSAT, whether I did well or not. If law school is supposed to be the next step in my life, it will be, if not, there another path my life is supposed to take. My prayer for everyone with whom I cross paths for now is...

"You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.
You'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's
a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3 / 4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
you're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!"

Peace,
jenna